Friday, August 1, 2008

Will the IRS ever understand the meaning of business entertainment?

Last night was the perfect example of where my two worlds collide. By day, I am a mild mannered CPA, and by night I am the wild and crazy limo company owner (at least that is how I envision myself!).

So last night after the free wine and sandwiches were gone at Morton's, I got down to business - I met with both my General and Operations Manager of the limo company and discussed how the month of July had gone (third best month ever - thank you very much!) and what we were planning for August. During this meeting, Angela from Bistro 33 stopped by our table and we not only made arrangements for providing services for the next El Dorado Hills concert, but we also discussed how each of us could help the Sacramento County Sheriffs - Luxx Limo is going to donate a limo for auction at a dinner honoring the SWAT Team Members, and Angelia is going to help out my friend who is a Canine Officer at their next golf event.

After that, I booked a wedding ride for one of the waitresses, and even managed to talk to Neil the GM of Morton's about next years Poker Tournament for Make a Wish. All of this before our actual dinner arrived - and here is is where the worlds collide. Even though I was conducting business (and a lot of it), I can only deduct half the cost of the meal on my taxes. While I did get some personal benefit from the meal I was severed, there is no way I would have incurred anywhere near that type of cost if it were not for the business I was generating. So why was I (and the same applies to you), limited to deducting only half the cost of this true business meal?

No comments: