Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Backyard BBQ

Coming into the season of BBQ it can be hard to think of a wine that would help bring out the flavor of grilled meats, slow cooked pork, but would still hold up well with coleslaw and potato salad. However, over the weekend, I found two that I believe would go well with any type of outdoor gathering - and get this - they are both red, and you serve both of them cold!

My first recommendation is Cakebread Cellars Rubaiyat, which is a blend of 83% Pinot Noir, 15% Zinfandel and 2% Syrah. The unusual name comes not from the grape itself, but rather from a famous verse in a book of poems by Persian philosopher Omar Khayyam. With flavors of fresh strawberries and cherries with a hint of spice this wine is sure to complement any type of picnic fare.

My second recommendation is Peju's Provence. This red and white blend of Merlot, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay and French Colombard has bright fruit notes with a finish of strawberry rhubarb pie.

If neither of these strike your fancy, then you can always turn to my personal favorite - bubbly, which I think goes with any type of food be it fried, raw, roasted or BBQ!

No comments: