Friday, July 18, 2008

The Police (Wrap Up)

First of all, I want to thank my friends Sandy & Mick for the great tickets, and also to my new friends, Carol and Jeff for bringing the outstanding food, especially the salami wrapped in cream cheese – simple & deadly (I hope my cardiologist doesn’t read this!). A big shout out also goes to Rick our driver, who worked the GPS to perfection when our primary route was backed up. Even with late arrivals to the bus, and a restroom/smokers break, Rick got us there in time.

Elvis Costello opened the evening and at least for me, the highlight of his performance was when Sting walked out for an impromptu duet of “Allison”. The Police, on the other hand were outstanding – not at lot of antics (unless you consider the facial expressions of percussionist Stewart Copeland to be antics), just straight forward rock and roll with a little reggae and jazz sprinkled in for good measure. Starting with “Message in a Bottle and concluding almost two hours later with an encore which included both “Roxanne” and “Every Breath You Take”, The Police had the entire crowd (yours truly included) on their feet, dancing and singing.

Now for just a bit of self serving commentary. We went with a group of twelve people, of whom I knew exactly three before the night began and my companion knew exactly zero. However, because we were in a limo, we were able to get to know each other on the way up (Sleeptrain is in the middle of nowhere!) and party on the way home. Consequently, I have eight new friends and she has eleven and none of us had to worry about driving or even worse, the dreaded DUI. If you have not traveled my limousine lately, or if it something you have always I wanted to do, I encourage you try it out – of course, I hope you will call us, but even if you don’t, I can almost guarantee you will have a better time than if you drove yourself.

1 comment:

Jean said...

Hey Bill! I was at The Police concert in one of your cars. I had a fun and crazy time - sure glad I wasn't driving.